London Beer Week returns for a second year from February 22 to 28. Pubs and bars across London will take part by offering special offers and beers while The Old Truman Brewery in Brick Lane will be transformed into the festival hub.
Run by the organisers of London Cocktail Week, the festival opens up a key to a city of beer through a £10 wristband. This includes self-guided Beer Tours where people can enjoy £3 speciality beers and £5 boilermakers (a beer and a shot) in more than 100 of the best beer bars, pubs and breweries in London all week long.
There is also a full schedule of ticketed events to get involved in including CBR – formerly Craft Beer Rising – which brings together beer, cider, music and street food in the Old Truman Brewery on February 26 and 27 – plus a trade session on February 25. Details at http://craftbeerrising.co.uk/.
Wristbands and a free bar guide for London Beer Week can be collected from the Sharp’s Brewery London Beer Week Hub at the Old Truman Brewery.
Organiser DrinkUp London has provided their pick of the more unusual beers you can drink during London Beer Week for just £3 with your wristband.
- Oatmeal Cookie Stout: A rich, chocolatey brew with roasted nuts and caramel created by Brew by Numbers especially for #LBW16. Available at Hawksmoor Spitalfields Bar – 157b Commercial Street, EC1 6BJ
- Chilli Oyster Stout: A tasty collaboration between Well & Bucket pub and brewers Anspach & Hobday especially for #LBW16. Available at the Well & Bucket – 143 Bethnal Green Road, E2 7DG
- Island Records Session IPA: A laid back, session-strength IPA bursting with juicy hop aromas and flavours of citrus & tropical fruits. Upgrade to a boilermaker with Bulleit Bourbon for £5. Available at The Gunmakers – 13 Eyre Street Hill, EC1R 5ET
- Beartooth American Brown Ale: A smokey, chocolatey brown ale with caramel sweetness and almond nuttiness. Upgrade to a boilermaker with Becherovka Czech liqueur for £5. Available at Foxlow – 71-73 Stoke Newington Church Street, N16 0AS.
- DrinkUp.London Session IPA: Tropical fruited scents, with a hint of brown sugar and a dry fresh finish. Created by Melissa Cole and 40ft at Cotswold Brewing Co especially for #LBW16. Available at The DrinkUp.London Boilermaker Bar, The Old Truman Brewery, E1 6QL
- Hackney Hopster: A Pacific pale ale, light bodied, refreshing with citrus fruit flavours. Available at London Fields Taproom – 365-366 Warburton Street, E8 3RR
- LBW Tropical Hopjuice: Rich exotic tropical flavours to taste, an incredibly light and refreshing brew. Created by Durham Atkinson of Hops and Glory especially for #LBW16. Available at The DrinkUp.London Boilermaker Bar (Saturday only), The Old Truman Brewery, E1 6QL
- Siren Broken Dream Nitro Breakfast Stout: Milk Coffee infused Stout poured on a Nitro line to get a perfectly creamy texture. Available at The Other Room, 60 Tower Bridge Road, SE1 5TR
- Rubia Pilsener (Gaucho’s own beer): A light, crisp and refreshing German pilsener with fine bubbles. Upgrade to a Boilermaker with Woodford Reserve bourbon. Available at Gaucho, 5 Finsbury Avenue, EC2M 2PG
- Mizzen Stout: A dark, strong stout with hints of chocolate, coffee and malt sweetness. Brewed by Sharp’s Brewery’s 2015 Brewing Adventure Winner, Dylan Jones especially for #LBW16. Available at the Sharp’s Brewery London Beer Week Hub, Ely’s Yard, The Old Truman Brewery, E1 6QL
Here is a selection of some of the “hoptails” that are available for £5 for wristband wearers.
- Kernow Gigglemug: Sharp’s Chalky’s Bite, gin, roasted fennel seed syrup, citrus and caramelized kosovar juniper foam. Complex and fresh. Available at Worship Street Whistling Shop – 63 Worship Street, EC2A 2DU
- M-ale Tai: A traditional Tiki rework made using Brewdog Punk IPA and Scotch. Punchy and reviving. Available at Craft Cocktail Company – Arch 253, Paradise Row, E2 9LE
- Peroni Sour: Peroni Nastro Azzurro, calvados, lemon juice and bergamot reduction. Autumnal, elegant flavours. Available at Union Street Cafe – 47-51 Great Suffolk St, SE1 0BS
- The Tank Old Fashioned: Pilsner Tank Beer, Woodford Reserve Bourbon, beer sugar and orange bitters. Rich and aromatic. Available at The Duck and Rice – 90 Berwick St, W1F 0QB
- Apri-Hop Sour: Bulleit bourbon, lemon juice, apricot liqueur, Hop House 13 Lager. Smooth and warming. Available at Hop House 13 LDN (LBW pop-up) – 7 Dray Walk, Old Truman Brewery, E1 6QL
- Huggalicious: A specially created hoptail made using Big Hug ale, tequila, lime juice and agave syrup. Available at all London Cocktail Club venues
The pop-ups at Old Truman Brewery
The Sharp’s Brewery London Beer Week Hub
Mon-Sat: Midday–9pm (bar service until 10pm), Sun: Midday-5pm
Your first port of call to collect your wristband and enjoy some complimentary brews to start your week – the team from Sharp’s Brewery will be bringing their award winning beers and Cornish vibes to the Old Truman Brewery with a pop-up beach bar! You might even be lucky enough to find the Secret Bar and attend an exclusive mystery tasting session, designed to revolutionise the way you drink and appreciate beer.
Hop House 13 LDN
Mon 6-10pm, Tue-Sun 12-10pm
The Brewers Project joins London Beer Week once again, this time launching a brand new brew – Hop House 13. Try it alongside all the delicious beers from St James’s Gate, Dublin at the Hop House 13 pop-up bar where you can also chat to the experts and enjoy live music.
Mon-Thu 4pm-10pm, Fri-Sun 1pm-10pm
A collaboration between Kozel and Pilsner Urquell celebrating the culture and history of the Czech Republic’s iconic refreshing style of lager. They’re even setting up the pilsner tanks especially so you can sup it straight from the source.
The DrinkUp.London Boilermaker Bar
Thu 5pm-10pm & Fri-Sat 12pm-10pm
A bluesy rock and rollin’ pop-up showcasing the humble Boilermaker. We’ve picked six of our favourites brews and six whiskies (well, five and a Czech Liqueur), all of varying styles – just roll the dice to pick your poison.
We’ll be joined by the motley crew from Hobo to mark the launch of their brand spanking new cyder… if you made it along to their pop-up last year then you’ll already know that these guys really bring the party.
DrinkUp London’s pick of other events around London during London Beer Week
For the hard core beer fan: ‘The Knowledge’ Beer + Brewing Masterclass
Fri 10.30pm-3pm, Meantime Brewery. Tickets £90 from meantimebrewing.com
Join the chaps at Meantime Brewery for an in-depth five hours in the brewery including a full tour and a detailed exploration of beer and the brewing process, covering topics such as ingredients, brewing history, and food & beer matching.
For the beginner: CRATE Tutored Tastings
Mon-Thu 6pm, CRATE Brewery. Tickets £10 from yplanapp.com
Be guided through the depths and delights of some of the world’s top brews, with each day allocated to a particular style of beer. Look forward to IPA Monday, Pale Tuesday, Dark Beer Wednesday and Sour Thursday with a breakdown of the style, where they’re from, and what magical ingredients they contain.
For the foodie: Beer Meets Fine Dining
Tue 7.30pm, Outlaw’s at The Capital. Dinner and drinks £50, email firstname.lastname@example.org
This special, one-off event sees Michelin-starred Outlaw’s at The Capital team up with Sharp’s Brewery to offer an exclusive seafood-focused, three-course menu, including Crab Scotch Egg paired with Chalky’s Bite; and Hake with Curry Sauce and Honey Spice IPA.
For the Boilermaker lovers: Buenos Aires to Bourbon Country
Tue 6.30pm, Gaucho Piccadilly. Tickets £20 from gauchorestaurants.com
Learn about the origins of the boilermaker and the long and fruitful partnership between suds and sippers in America. Woodford Reserve distillers select, double oaked and rye expressions will be tasted alongside signature beers that have been hand chosen by Gaucho’s resident beer expert.
For the Hoptail aficionado: The House of Peroni presents Italian Supperclub
Fri 7.30pm, Union Street Cafe. Dinner, drinks and masterclass £35, email email@example.com
A contemporary Italian dining experience with a specially-created menu by head chef Davide Degiovanni. The evening includes an infusions masterclass led by one of their special House of Peroni mixologists, and the party continues after dinner with more beers, Peroni cocktails and live music until late.
For the beer-loving party-goer: CBR London 2016
Fri-Sat 6.30pm-12.30am, Old Truman Brewery. Tickets £20 from craftbeerrising.co.uk
The biggest CBR ever – sample over 600 different beers and ciders from across the world, all to the backdrop of music headliners James Lavelle and Rob da Bank.
For the full event schedule, visit londonbeerweek.com/events. Wristbands are available to pre-purchase through the website.