The Shilling Brewing Co in Glasgow, The Living Room and The Refuge by Volta in Manchester and Devonshire Club in London are among finalists in the SBID International Design Awards.
Facing competition from bars, clubs and restaurants from around the world from Dubai to Shanghai, the UK finalists also include Residents Club at Battersea Power Station and Fucina in London.
The Living Room in Manchester (pictured top) is a finalist in the category of best bar and club design. Stonegate Pub Company completely revamped the established bar with leading hospitality specialist Fusion By Design and relaunched it in October last year.
In the same category, it is up against Devonshire Club which opened near Liverpool Street last year, with interiors designed by March & White and lighting by Nulty. The 60,000-sq ft members’ club covers six floors of an 18th-century former East India Company warehouse and a large Georgian townhouse.
Also up for best bar and club design is Residents Club, designed by Linley. This exclusive members’ club, with a bar and restaurant, is part of a 5,000 sq ft club space for residents of the Circus West section of the Battersea Power Station redevelopment.
The Refuge by Volta (pictured above), designed by Michaelis Boyd, is a finalist in the category for best restaurant design. It opened last year as part of The Principal Manchester hotel in the former Palace hotel.
Also up for best restaurant design is Shilling Brewing Co in Glasgow (pictured below), with interiors by Jestico + Whiles. The brewpub and restaurant was created last year by the team at Glendola Leisure.
Other restaurant design finalists in the UK are Fucina, which was opened last year in Marylebone by Kurt Zdesar with interiors by Andy Martin Architecture, and Wine & Deli in Croydon Boxpark, designed by Avocado Sweets Design Studio.
Finalists for best hotel public space included several in the UK: Crowne Plaza King’s Cross by Superfutures, the Generation IV Public Space concept at Holiday Inn Express and the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane by Woods Bagot.
The awards, now in their seventh edition, are run by the Society of British International Design, the professional body for people working in interior design. The winners will be announced at The Dorchester in London on October 27, chosen by a panel of judges and public voting. Click here to vote.
The categories also cover hotel bedrooms, offices, retail, kitchens, bathrooms, healthcare and home interiors. An Overall Winner Award will also be awarded to the project that comes out on the top after an amalgamation of the judge’s choices and the public votes have been considered.
The other finalists in the category for best bar and club design are:
- Brickyard in Taipei in Taiwan by HC Space Design
- Buddha Bar in Dubai by LW Design
- Club of Beijing R&F Plot in Beijing by Drawing Design Consultant Co
- Cubanito Lito in Dubai by Bishop Design
- D Force in Guangzhou in China by Republic Metropolis Architecture
- Gallery Clubhouse in Shanghai by ARK Interior Design
- Open Air Cocktail Bar in Izmir in Turkey by Orkun Indere Interiors
- Shenzhen Nord Club in Shenzhen in China by Tsingda Environment Art Design Consultants
- Smooth Club House in Guangzhou in China by KLID (Kris Lin International Design)
- The Whale Bar at St Regis Hotel in the Maldives by WOW Architects and Warner Wong Design
- Thirty Nine in Monte Carlo by Morpheus London
- Ultima in Hong Kong by Hirsch Bedner and Associates.
The other finalists for best restaurant design are:
- 12 000 Francs in Hong Kong by Emma Maxwell Design
- 71 Above in Los Angeles by Tag Front
- Alkimia in Barcelona by External Reference and Chu Uroz
- Bosscat Kitchen & Libations in Houston, Texas, by Hootan & Associates Design Studio
- Colony in Singapore by tonychi
- Demoiselle by Galvin in Dubai by DesignLSM
- Experiencing a Japanese-style Fantasy in Taoyuan City, Taiwan, by Wyson International Architecture Interior Design
- F Bistronome in Beijing, China, by David Chang Design Associates International
- Grand Cafe at NH Collection Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky in Amsterdam by Studio Proof
- Ku De Ta in Perth, Australia, by 4M Group
- McDonald’s Experience of The Future in Melbourne, Australia, by Juicy
- Nozomi Doha in Qatar by Rockwell Group
- Nurai Cafe and Restaurant in Dubai by 4SPACE interior design
- Project Two Knives in Brovary, Ukraine, by Vill-na Buro
- Siddharta Lounge in Dubai by LW
- The Burger Laboratory by Lotteria in Seoul in South Korea by JHP Design
- UN FreshT in Nanning, China, by UN Design