The search for the 2017 Kitchen Porter of the Year is nearly over after warewashing specialist Winterhalter, the company behind the awards, announced the shortlist for this year’s trophy.
The top 10 KPs of the Year 2017 are:
• Bayani Balba, kitchen porter, One Great George Street, Westminster, London
• Banjamin Berany, senior kitchen porter, The Vineyard, Newbury, Berkshire
• Mohammed El Wakili, head kitchen porter, The Goring, Westminster, London
• Mariano Espinoza, kitchen porter, The Carpenters Arms, Islington, London
• Daniel Gligorov, head kitchen porter, the White Hart at Fyfield, Oxford
• Miroslaw Glogowski, kitchen porter, The Landmark, Marylebone, London
• Adam Kaczor, head kitchen porter, Special Catering Company, Heathcote & Co, Bolton
• Rafal Matrejek, kitchen porter, Berwick Lodge, Bristol
• Jose Nunez, kitchen porter, The Stafford, St James’s, London
• June Pond, senior kitchen porter, DoubleTree by Hilton, Milton Keynes
Judges for the 2017 awards include James Horler, chief executive of 360 Restaurants; Richard Davies, executive chef of Calcot Manor Hotel; Anne Pierce, chief executive of Springboard UK; Sara Jayne Stanes, chief executive of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts; Hayden Groves, executive chef at BaxterStorey; and Stephen Kinkead, managing director of Winterhalter UK.
Stephen said: “The calibre of entries just keeps getting stronger and stronger. This year was the most difficult to judge yet.”
The winner will be announced this month. The prize fund is valued at over £10,000. The winner receives £1,000 in cash, plus a celebratory meal with friends, with cash prizes for the runners-up. The winner’s establishment also gets a Winterhalter machine.
For the latest news on the KP awards, visit www.kpoftheyear.com.