Artesian at London’s Langham Hotel held on to the title of the World’s Best Bar in the annual league table that placed nine British bars among the top 50 internationally.
The hotel bar picked up the accolade for the third year in a row, beating The Dead Rabbit Grocery & Grog in New York City to second place. Artesian’s head bartender Alex Kratena is pictured above, right, with bartender Simone Caporale.
Nightjar in Old Street, London, retained its high ranking by being placed third, while The American Bar at The Savoy rose to number eight. It was closely followed by the Connaught Bar at London’s Connaught hotel at 11 and Happiness Forgets in Hoxton Square at 12.
A new entry at number 20 was White Lyan which opened in Hoxton Street, London, only last year. Other London bars in the top 50 were 69 Colebrooke Row in Islington at 23 and Callooh Callay in Shoreditch at 49. Some of the London winners are pictured below with the ceremony’s co-host Dave Wondrich.
Bramble in Edinburgh retained a place in the World’s 50 Best Bars list by being named the 32nd best bar in the world.
New York City had seven bars in the top 50, with Attaboy in fourth place and Employees Only in fifth. Others were Elephant Bar at the NoMad Hotel and PDT in Manhattan and Clover Club and Maison Premiere in Brooklyn.
In seventh place, The Baxter Inn in Sydney collected the award for the best bar in Australasia, while High Five in Tokyo, at number nine, picked up the award for best bar in Asia. The best bar in Latin American and the Caribbean was Floreria Atlantico in Buenos Aires which was placed 39th.
Organised by Drinks International magazine, the World’s 50 Best Bars was this year voted on by 334 people in the bar and drinks industry from 46 countries.
The World’s 50 Best Bars
1. The Artesian at The Langham, London
2. Dead Rabbit Grocery & Grog, New York City
3. Nightjar, London
4. Attaboy, New York City
5. Employees Only, New York City
6. Canon, Seattle
7. The Baxter Inn, Sydney
8. The American Bar at The Savoy, London
9. High Five, Tokyo
10. 28 HongKong Street, Singapore
11. Connaught Bar at The Connaught, London
12. Happiness Forgets, London
13. The Aviary, Chicago
14. Elephant Bar at the NoMad Hotel, New York City
15. Nottingham Forrest, Milan
16. Smuggler’s Cove, San Francisco
17. Candelaria, Paris
18. PDT, New York City
19. Bulletin Place, Sydney
20. White Lyan, London
21. Buck & Breck, Berlin
22. The Broken Shaker, Miami
23. 69 Colebrooke Row, London
24. Hemingway Bar, Prague
25. Le Lion Bar de Paris, Hamburg
26. Door 74, Amsterdam
27. Three Dots and a Dash, Chicago
28. The Jerry Thomas Project, Rome
29. Chainaya, Tea & Cocktails, Moscow
30. The Everleigh, Melbourne
31. Eau de Vie, Sydney
32. Bramble, Edinburgh
33. Trick Dog, San Francisco
34. Dry Martini, Barcelona
35. Clover Club, New York City
36. Drink, Boston
37. Black Pearl, Melbourne
38. Schumann’s, Munich
39. Floreria Atlantico, Buenos Aires
40. Star Bar Ginza, Tokyo
41. Delicatessen, Moscow
42. Quinary, Hong Kong
43. Cure, New Orleans
44. Tales & Spirits, Amsterdam
45. Maison Premiere, New York City
46. La Capilla, Tequila, Mexico
47. Licoreria Limantour, Mexico City
48. Shady Pines, Sydney
49. Callooh Callay, London
50. Williams and Graham, Denver