Driving sustainability at Imbibe Live

Imbibe Live

Sustainability will top the agenda at Imbibe Live when it returns to Olympia London from 1-2 July 2019.

Speakers including James Fowler, Heidi Bjerkan, Claire Warner and James Bowker will address the topic and demonstrate how on-trade professionals can contribute to a more efficient and socially responsible industry.

Championing home grown talent

At this year’s show, seven sector-specific theatres will champion home grown talent with a host of local speakers joining the line-up.

Recognised as a trailblazer for sustainability, James Fowler of award-winning restaurant Terroir Tapas, will share his approach to seasonality and the unique British flavours available in his ‘Taste of Britain’ session in the new Chef’s Table theatre.

Fowler’s restaurant is widely recognised for its environmental credentials, after he introduced a raft of measures to eliminate packaging and improve sustainability. The restaurant requires all suppliers to deliver ingredients ‘loose’ in reusable crates, while its Aquaponic grow wall provides garnishes and plants for its tapas and drinks menu.

Further demonstrating the opportunities to source local ingredients, Clare Warner, Pippa Guy and James Bowker will explain how to bring the great outdoors in, and the inspiration that can be garnered from foraged ingredients in the Cocktail Lounge.

Highlighting the ‘Best of British’, master of wine Peter Richards will be joined by Ruth Simpson, co-founder of Simpsons Wine Estate and Charlie Holland from Gusborne to explore the extraordinary evolution of still wine making in England in The Winemakers Cellar.

Paolo Tonelloto will present outstanding local drinks ‘made in London’ in The Tasting Room. A champion of sourcing locally, Tonelloto will introduce attendees to six drinks that are brewed, distilled, fermented and compounded within a few miles of his bar, The Hide in Bermondsey.

Theatre sessions will talk about the steps the industry can take to improve sustainability, it will also be demonstrated on the show floor, thanks to a series of new initiatives being introduced at this year’s event.

Reducing single-use plastic

As plastic continues to plague the planet, and estimates reveal there could be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans by 2050, the organisers of Imbibe Live are taking action.

At this year’s event, no bottled water or plastic cups will be available from the Water Bar, while plastic sampling cups will also be eliminated. For the first time, biodegradable cups and straws will be offered as an alternative.

In addition, plastic badge holders will be collected and reused at other Reed events with dump bins set up for attendees to drop off their badges as they leave the venue.

While less plastic will be present at the show, the organisers have also made the decision to reduce the quantity of printed materials and instead have invested in the Imbibe Live Meeting App which visitors can use to source the information needed to navigate the show and use their time effectively.

Zero Landfill

While 100% of all waste generated at Olympia London is already diverted from landfill, with 98% of it recycled at local waste management plants and the remaining 2% recovered as waste for energy, Imbibe Live organisers are working with venue staff to reduce the amount of waste generated at the event with initiatives, such as an increase in recycling bins on the show floor and discounts for reusable cups under discussion.

Speaking about the changes to this year’s event, Lindsey Coleman, event director, Imbibe Live, said: “The exhibition industry has long been prone to excess and waste, but with a growing focus on sustainability in all walks of life, that has to change.

“At Imbibe Live, we’re taking the steps to reduce our environmental impact and encouraging our exhibitors and visitors to do the same.

“We hope that with this year’s changes we can begin to support the wider efforts made in the industry to champion sustainability and help reduce our own impact on the planet.”

To find out more, visit www.live.imbibe.com and click here to register.

Previous Paragon Brands debuts June gin liqueur
Next The Little Yellow Door introduces chlorophyll brunch cocktail