Leon Back from Edinburgh bar Panda & Sons has been announced as UK winner of the Bacardí Legacy Cocktail Competition.
He was one of six bartenders from across the UK to reach the final held in Amsterdam alongside national heats from other northern European countries.
With his cocktail, the Queen Street, he impressed judges with both the drink and his ideas for promoting it. See below for the full recipe.
Leon will go on to represent the UK in the global final in Mexico City in May next year after being given a budget by Bacardí to market his cocktail internationally.
The other five UK finalists were Will Meredith from Dandelyan in London, Dominic Whisson from The American Bar at The Savoy in London, Robb Collins from London Cocktail Club, Christopher McQuillan from Oliver’s Restaurant in Belfast and Oliver Pluck from soon-to-open bar Epicurus in Leeds.
The Queen Street by Leon Back
50ml Bacardí Carta Blanca
25ml Fresh lemon juice
20ml 1:1 Sugar syrup
20ml Martini Ambrato
2 dashes Celery bitters
Spritz of Islay whisky
Shake all ingredients with ice, double-strain and serve straight up in a Nick & Nora glass. Spray with a spritz of Islay whisky on the side of and top of glass.
The annual competition seeks to find a Bacardí rum cocktail with the greatest potential to establish itself alongside “legacy” classics such as the Mojito and the Daiquiri. The recipe could use Bacardí Carta Blanca, Bacardí Carta Oro or Bacardí Ocho Años Reserva.
Nine other winners were announced at last night’s Northern European Bacardí Legacy event who will all join Leon and winners from other parts of the world in Mexico. They are:
- Ireland: Anthony Barry from Cask in Cork
- Netherlands: Erik van Beek from Bar 27
- Belgium/Luxembourg: Didier van den Broeck from Dogma, Antwerp, Belgium
- Austria: Harald Gröbl from Mark’s New York Bar, Sankt Georgen, Attergau
- Switzerland: Kacper Dylak from Cinchona, Zurich
- Norway: Carl Wiman from Himkok, Oslo
- Finland: Henri Halonen from Liberty or Death in Helsinki
- Sweden: Carl Marcus Erlandsson from Haymarket, Stockholm
- Germany: Damien Guichard from Velvet, Berlin