Leading bartenders from across the UK are set to compete in the all-female Speed Rack competition which is returning for London Cocktail Week.
It will bring together 19 competitors who will be challenged to make a round of cocktails, chosen from a list of 50 industry-standard classic recipes, in timed heats.
It is a spin-off of Speed Rack in the USA which was created to raise money for breast cancer charities. The UK competition will be held in at the London Cocktail Week Village at Old Spitalfields Market on Sunday October 11, raising money for breast cancer charity The Haven.
The prize will be an all-inclusive trip for two to the Anjou region in France, including a tour of the Cointreau distillery and attending the Cointreau Bartender Academie education programme.
The competitors will be:
- Chelsie Bailey, Red Light, Bristol
- Hanna Bixo, Hawksmoor Knightsbridge, London
- India Blanch, Quiquiriqui, London
- Sian Buchan, The Drink Cabinet UK, Edinburgh
- Lilla Debreceni, Adventure Bar Covent Garden, London
- Caroline Hoskins, The Walrus Room, London
- Claire Houghton, The Alchemist Spinningfields, Manchester
- Maria López Tello, Grill on the Alley, Manchester
- Sophie Mackay, Barrio Bars, London
- Sarah Mitchell, Adventure Bar group, London
- Rosie Paterson, The Voodoo Rooms, Edinburgh
- Olesia Postnova, Opium, London
- Kelsey Ramage, London
- Christina Schneider, Happiness Forgets, London
- Jennifer Spencer, Hawksmoor Spitalfields , London
- Lauren Taylor, Hawksmoor Spitalfields, London
- Kaiko Tulloch, The Lucky Liquor Co, Edinburgh
- Elizabeth Ward, The Liars Club, Manchester
- Lottee Weaver, Adventure Bar Covent Garden, London.
This year’s judging panel will include bartender Jake Burger of London bar Portobello Star and Portobello Road Gin, bartender Ryan Chetiyawardana of London bars White Lyan and Dandelyan, drinks historian Anistatia Miller of publisher Mixellany, and Sandrae Lawrence of The Cocktail Lovers magazine. The event will be compered by JJ Goodman, co-founder and bartender patron of London Cocktail Club Group.
Speed Rack UK is presented in partnership with London Cocktail Week, part of Drink Up London, which runs from October 5 to 11.
Tickets are available in advance and at the door for £25, which entitles each person to 10 free cocktail tickets, discounted additional tickets, and free tastings from premium spirits brands. Visit https://drinkup.london/cocktailweek/events/speed-rack-uk-national-finals-2015/.
Speed Rack is supported by platinum sponsors G’Vine Gin and Auchentoshan whisky plus other brands including gold sponsors Bacardi, Chambord, Excellia Tequila, Four Roses Bourbon, St-Germain liqueur and Yaguara Cachaça.
Music will be provided by Bacardi brand ambassadors Shervene Shahbazkhani and Metinee Kongsrivilai, also known as The Unpronounceables. It is being produced with Yael Weisberg of Profile Your Brand and Joe Stokoe of events company Heads, Hearts & Tails.