Gruppo Campari has announced the nine bartenders who have won places in the UK final of its Wild Turkey bourbon competition with a top prize of a trip to Kentucky and New York City.
Six have been selected after winning a series of regional heats around the country:
- West London: Stefano Chila of Novokov in Mayfair, London
- Bristol: Dan Bovey of Be At One in Bristol
- Leeds: Jamie Jones, a freelance bar consultant based in Manchester
- Manchester: Adam Binnersly of Mojo in Manchester
- East London: Robin Honhold of White Lyan in Hoxton, London
- Edinburgh: Jamie Moran of Tiki Bar & Kitsch Inn in Glasgow (whose winning cocktail is pictured above)
For the first time in the Wild Turkey competition, they will be joined by three “wild cards” selected by the judges from the pool of runners-up from the regional heats. They are:
- Nathan Shearer of Callooh Callay in Shoreditch, London
- Claudio Poggi of Lab in Soho, London
- Ryan Sneddon of Tonic in Edinburgh
The bartender who most impresses the judges at the final will go on the trip of a lifetime, visiting the home of Wild Turkey bourbon in Kentucky and stopping off in New York City to sample some of the world’s best bars.
The UK final will be held on August 12 in east London, with a judging panel made up of the 2014 Wild Turkey competition winner, Joshua Reynolds of Hawksmoor Spitalfields bar in London, and a member of the BarlifeUK team plus a “special, yet-to-be-announced judge that will surely excite the finalists”.