Licensees are being given help to tap into the growing cocktail trend by ready-to-drink brand WKD with the launch of new drinking vessels and recipes.
SHS Drinks has revamped the brand’s two-pint cocktail jugs for sharing with a contemporary new look featuring WKD’s new logo and a party scene on a stylish black background.
For this summer, it is also introducing a new individual-serve cocktail container, the WKD Tin: a 450ml cocktail tin decorated with the WKD logo and the silhouetted crowd scene as featured on new WKD case outers and WKD Blue 330ml cans.
SHS Drinks’ sales teams will be distributing more than 12,000 WKD Cocktail Jugs and 15,000 WKD Tins to pubs and bars around the UK. It follows CGA Strategy’s Mixed Drinks Report 2015 which showed increasing sales of cocktails across the on-trade.
The activity is supported by point-of-sale kits to help outlets drive awareness of their cocktail offering. Each of the Cocktail Jug kits contains 20 jugs, a banner, hanging mobiles, posters, bar runners, table talkers and staff mixing guides.
The WKD Tins kits each include 60 WKD-branded tins, table talkers, posters, hanging mobiles, and staff mixing guides. WKD Cocktail Jug paper POS materials are available free of charge.
The three cocktails featured in the WKD Cocktail Jug kits are:
- Cheeky WKD, with two 275ml bottles of WKD Blue, 50ml of port, lemonade and ice
- WKD Red Snapper, with two 275ml bottles of WKD Red, 50ml of peach schnapps, apple juice and ice
- WKD Iron Brewtiful, with two 275ml bottles of WKD Iron Brew, 50ml of spiced rum, lemonade and ice.
The staff mixing guide emphasises that the jugs are made for sharing, that each jug is to be served with four glasses, and that an average serving will equate to approximately one unit of alcohol.
The three new WKD Tin Cocktails are:
- WKD Cheeky Tinnie, with a 275ml bottle of WKD Blue, 25ml of port, lemonade and ice
- WKD Tintastic, with a 275ml bottle of WKD Red, 25ml of coconut rum, lemonade and ice
- WKD Tin Twister, with one 275ml bottle of WKD Iron Brew, 25ml of spiced rum, lemonade and ice.
Debs Carter, marketing director for alcohol at SHS Drinks, said: “More than half of women and a third of men say they now drink cocktails and with the rise of the cocktail culture, RTD cocktails provide a great opportunity for licensees to create some theatre and up-sell.
“The added bonus with the WKD cocktails is that the ingredients will be staples in any pub or bar and the WKD jugs and tins will add an extra touch of WKD-style pizzazz to the cocktail serves.”