Yeast serve for new Belgian abbey beer

Belgian abbey beer Affligem has been introduced to the UK on- trade, promoted with a serve that encourages consumers to try it with and without the yeast.

The brand is being developed by beer importer The Morgenrot Group as part of an exclusive UK distribution agreement with the Belgian brewery’s owner Heineken.

The range is led by the light gold Affligem Blond, with an ABV of 6.8 per cent, available on draught and in 330ml bottles.The darker reddish Dubbel, also 6.8 per cent ABV, and the golden amber Tripel, with an ABV of nine per cent, are just in 330ml bottles.

Bar staff are encouraged to pour 90 per cent of the beer from a bottle into a glass without the remaining 10 per cent containing the yeast. Consumers then have the option of drinking it with or without the yeast which adds an extra layer of flavour.

Available exclusively in the on-trade, it is supported with a series of support packages to drive brand awareness and sales in outlets.

As well as branded glass goblets, bars can serve the product in a paddle with slots for a bottle, a goblet and a small glass for holding the last 10 per cent of liquid.

Made in one of the few breweries genuinely linked to an abbey, the beer has extra yeast added at the bottling stage for secondary fermentation. It is brewed in Opwijk, near to the Affligem abbey which dates back to 1074.

Previous Global Brands plans relaunch for classic Reef RTD
Next On-trade push for Mickey Finn